May 1, 2018 - Up 0.5" over Full
Apr. 26, 2018 - ICE OUT!!!
Apr. 1, 2018 - Down 13.2" from Full
Mar. 1, 2018 - Down 15.2" from Full
Feb. 1, 2018 - Down 9" from Full
Jan. 1, 2018 - Down 11.3" from Full
Dec. 1, 2017 - Down 10.1" from Full
Nov. 1, 2017 - Down 2.8" from Full
Oct. 1, 2017 - Down 11.9" from Full
Sep. 1, 2017 - Down 9.1" from Full
Aug. 1, 2017 - Down 5.3" from Full
Jul. 1, 2017 - Down 0.5" from Full
Jun. 1, 2017 - 1.6" Over Full
May 1, 2017 - 1.3" Over Full
Apr. 1, 2017 - Down 7.8" from Full
Mar. 1, 2017 - Down 10.5" from Full
Feb. 1, 2017 - Down 14.5" from Full
Jan. 1, 2017 - Down 20.0" from Full
Full Lake Level is 504.32 ft above sea level


Posted Mar 20, 2013

One of the most frequent questions I am asked is “Do I need a permit?”

There are no quick and easy answers but most work in the water will require a NH DES Wetlands Bureau permit. Projects such as re-decking a dock, replacing a tie post, or installing a swim ladder do not need a permit. Work such as piling replacement, crib reconstruction, or structure modifications will require a permit. The real issue at hand is not usually if a permit is needed, but rather what type of permit is required.

The simplest permit to obtain is a “Seasonal Dock Notification” which can only be used in limited circumstances for the purpose of quickly installing a single seasonal dock. These are typically used by homeowners on undeveloped lots as there is no real approval review or permit package requirements. These can only be used under extremely limited circumstances with no existing shoreline structures.

The next level of permit is a “Permit By Notification”, commonly known as a “PBN” permit, which is limited in scope to certain minimal projects and repairs, but allows for a relatively quick turn-around of either 10 days, if signed by the local conservation commission, or 21 days, if not. Unfortunately, the application documentation and paperwork requirements are the same as a standard permit so although the permit review time-frame is quick, the process of preparing the permit can be quite involved and doesn’t save any time, effort, or costs. In our office we frequently use this process for dock repairs, especially if there is past permit history at the site. There is no formal permit issued under this process and the notification simply shows up on the NH DES website as “accepted”. These permits are supposed to be registered with the local Registry of Deeds Office, but they do not accept web-based printouts of the “accepted” database. In order to comply, we post a copy of the database page on site as our permit document.

Up a level is the “Minimum Impact Expedited” process which is, again, limited in scope to a list of allowed projects but must be signed by the local conservation commission before submittal. The NH DES review time-frame for Expedited permits is 30 days after receipt. As the process of seeking Cons. Comm. Sign-off up front can be difficult due to limited meeting schedules and part-time membership of many local Cons. Comm.’s, in our office we seldom use this process. This type of permit never gets submitted to NH DES if the Cons. Comm. does not sign-off.

All projects that do not meet the above requirements for submittal require completion of the “Standard Dredge and Fill” application. While it is not clear by its name, this is the permit process for many dock and shoreline structure projects. NH DES has 75 days after receipt to review a Standard permit application. All approved permits for shoreline structures must be registered with the local Registry of Deeds Office before they are valid, with a copy submitted back to NH DES for their files.

The best way to find out what you need is to call our office for a no obligation site visit. Remember permit preparation and review can take some time so plan ahead! Got Permits?

User Submitted Comments:

There have not yet been any user submitted comments for this Blog.

Leave a Comment:
Please enter information below to post:
Bookmark and Share